Child Advocacy and Policy (M.A.)
This Master of Arts will offer students an applied course of study in child advocacy. As an emerging field, child advocacy includes an understanding of parts of several disciplines:
However, it is a field where the whole is equal to more than the sum of its parts. Briefly stated, this program aims to provide:
- A comprehensive view of the field of child advocacy that includes both multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary components.
- A particular understanding of the intricacies of the public child welfare system.
- Competencies in knowledge, methods, and applications needed for careers and professional development in the field of child advocacy.
- Field work experience in occupational settings such as the offices of the Division of Children & Families (DCF), Child Advocacy Centers, Residential Treatment facilities, the Juvenile Justice System among others.
- Access to the program to individuals living in the central and southern regions of the state through a distance-learning component.
In order to gain admission into the program students must meet the following criteria:
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in their undergraduate major
- Complete an interview by a committee of faculty teaching in the program
- Include a writing sample to be completed at the time of the interview
In addition, students must meet all standards set by The Graduate School for admission to a graduate program.
|Required Core Courses|
|CHAD 501||Introduction to Applied Child Advocacy||3|
|CHAD 502||Child Abuse and Neglect||3|
|CHAD 503||Current Social Issues in Child Advocacy||3|
|CHAD 504||Children and Justice||3|
|CHAD 505||Forensic Interviewing of Children||3|
|CHAD 620||Practicum in Public Child Welfare||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|The Bullying Spectrum|
|Introduction to Adolescent Advocacy|
|Development and Trauma in Adolescence|
|Adolescents and the System|
|Substance Abuse and Family Crisis|
|Family Empowerment Models for Child Advocates|
|Child Protective Service Investigation|
|Child Welfare Policy|
|Engaging the Adolescent|
|Child Advocacy Policy and Practice|
|Research and Evaluation|
|Seminar: Selected Topics in Child Advocacy|
|Seminar in Adolescent Advocacy|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Culturally Competent Practice in Child Advocacy|
|Advocacy in Child Behavioral Health|
|Clinical Applications in Addictions Counseling|
|Multicultural Counseling and Development|
|Counseling Co-Occurring Disorders|
|Introduction to Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling|
|Child in the Family|
|Intercultural Study of Family|
|United States Legal System|
|CHAD 680||Seminar in Child Advocacy||3|