Spanish and Latino Studies
Chairperson: Raul Galoppe, Ph.D
The major programs in Spanish and Latino Studies are designed to help students achieve linguistic fluency, an appreciation of literature and a comprehensive knowledge of Hispanic culture. The Spanish curriculum studies Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean with an emphasis on transatlantic intersections. Other courses include Portuguese and the core sequence of Latin American and Latino Studies.
Majors in Spanish may elect a program in teacher certification which includes a semester of supervised practice teaching.
A special option is a four-course concentration in translation and interpreting, which provides a practical background for students preparing for careers in business, law, social service and other areas.The Department also offers minor sequences in Spanish, Spanish and International Business, Portuguese Studies and Latin American and Latino Studies.
- Portuguese Studies Minor
- Spanish and International Business Minor
- Spanish Major (B.A.)
- Spanish Major (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.)
- Spanish Major (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in Grades K - 6 and Teacher of Students with Disabilities)
- Spanish Major (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in Spanish (Preschool-Grade 12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities
- Spanish Major with Teacher Certification in Elementary School Teacher in Grades K-6 (B.A.)
- Spanish Major with Teacher Certification in Spanish (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.)
- Spanish Major, Translation Concentration (B.A.)
- Spanish Minor
- Spanish Translation Certificate Program