Chairperson: Jonathan Greenberg
The English Department offers an English Major, an English Minor, a Creative Writing Minor, and a Film Studies Minor. It also offers concentrations in Creative Writing and Film Studies, teacher certification programs in English, and several dual-degree options that include a Masters degree.
The English curriculum centers on the critical study and interpretation of literature, language, and culture. Students study literature and other cultural products written in English, and develop their critical and aesthetic understanding through research and writing. The curriculum includes coursework in creative writing, film, and world literatures written in or translated into English.
The English Major requires a minimum of 36 credits or 12 courses, including one course required of all students, ENGL 300: Critical Approaches to English. The 12 courses taken must include:
- At least five courses in literature;
- At least one pre-1700 course, one pre-1800 course, one pre-1900 course, and one post-1900 course;
- At least one course in three out of the following four genres: poetry, fiction, drama, film;
- At least one course in each of the following areas: international issues, ethnic studies, women’s and gender studies, class issues.
For creative writing and film minors, only two minor courses may be counted towards the major.
A minimum of 120 credits of coursework is required for the baccalaureate degree with a minimum 2.0 overall GPA, and a minimum 2.0 major GPA. However, more than 120 credits may be required depending upon the major field of study. In addition to the major requirements, all university students must fulfill the set of General Education requirements applicable to their degree.
- Creative Writing Minor
- English Major (B.A.)
- English Major, Creative Writing Concentration (B.A.)
- English Major, Film Studies Concentration (B.A.)
- English Major (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.)
- English Major (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in English (Preschool-Grade 12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities)
- English Major (B.A.)(Combined B.A./M.A.T with Teacher Certification in Grades K- 6 and Teacher of Students with Disabilities.)
- English Major with Teacher Certification in English (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.)
- English Major with Teacher Certification in Elementary School Teacher in Grades K-6 (B.A.)
- English Minor
- Film Minor