Counseling and Educational Leadership
Chairperson: Dr. Kathy A. Gainor
The Department of Counseling and Educational Leadership (CEL) grants two different Master of Arts degrees, and one doctoral degree, a Ph.D. in Counseling.
In the MA in Counseling program, students are prepared to work with diverse populations of all ages in the following areas: Community mental health counseling, addictions counseling, school counseling, and student affairs/higher education. Program concentrations in Community Counseling, School Counseling and Student Affairs Counseling in Higher Education are CACREP-accredited. In addition, the department offers two post-Master’s programs for professional development, one leading to gaining the requirements for New Jersey Licensed Professional Counselor (LAC/LPC), and the other leading directly toward New Jersey State School Counselor Certification.
The Ph.D. program in Counseling, the only one within a 248-mile radius, is a premier program with an excellent faculty. Students are prepared to work in the field of counseling as professors, clinicians, deans or high level student affairs professionals, directors of school counseling, and consultants.In the NCATE-accredited MA in Educational Leadership program, students obtain a standard supervisor certificate as well as a principal certificate of eligibility. For students holding a master’s degree, the program offers advanced certifications in the areas of supervisor, principal and director of guidance. In addition, the program offers the opportunity for an additional internship to qualify the student to obtain the school administrator certificate of eligibility.
Programs of Study
- Advanced Counseling Post Master's Certificate Program
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Certificate Program
- Counseling, Addictions Counseling Concentration (M.A.)
- Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration (M.A.)
- Counseling, School Counseling Concentration (M.A.)
- Counseling, Student Affairs/Counseling in Higher Ed Concentration (M.A.)
- Counseling (Ph.D.)
- Director of School Counseling Services, Educational Services Certification
- Educational Leadership (M.A.)
- Educational Leadership, Higher Education Leadership Concentration (M.A.)
- Principal, Administrative Services Certification
- School Counselor, Post Master's Educational Services Certification
- Substance Awareness Coordinator, Educational Services Certification
- Supervisor, Administrative Services Certification