Chairperson: Abby Lillethun
For more than 40 years, the Department of Art and Design has educated artists and designers who impact, interpret, and shape the visual world in which we live.
Undergraduates receive a comprehensive grounding in color theory, drawing, and two- and three-dimensional design. Our BFA and BA curricula expand on these offerings with a choice of majors and concentrations in animation/illustration, visual communication design, product design, fashion studies, art education, and visual arts. Students wishing to continue their studies can opt for the intensive Master of Fine Arts program in Studio Art.
All students work and learn in fully equipped studios for animation/illustration, ceramics, drawing, graphic design, industrial design, metalwork/jewelry, painting, photography, print/paper/book arts, and sculpture. MFA students enjoy spacious private studios as well as common workspaces and seminar and resource rooms. Two student-run galleries showcase the works of Montclair State artists, and the college’s 3,130-square-foot George Segal Gallery exhibits the works of regional and internationally acclaimed artists, as well as works of our students.
Undergraduates connect with artists, historians, critics and curators through Art Forum, the department’s popular lecture series, while Graduate students learn from influential professionals through the MSU/MAM Series -- our collaborative series with the Montclair Art Museum.
All of our programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Animation and Illustration Major (B.F.A.)
- Fashion Design Minor
- Fashion Merchandising Minor
- Fashion Studies Major (B.A.)
- Product Design Major (B.F.A.)
- Visual Arts Major (B.A.)
- Visual Arts Major, Art Education Concentration (B.A.) (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in Art (Preschool-Grade 12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities)
- Visual Arts Major, Art Education Concentration with Teacher Certification in Art (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.)
- Visual Arts Minor
- Visual Communication Design Major (B.F.A.)